Why be a part of your local co-op?
There are many benefits to shopping at a co-op like Mariposa:
- You support the local economy: co-ops are owned by their members, meaning that the money the co-op earns stays local, instead of benefiting a multinational corporation. For 60 years, businesses have fled the inner cities – now is our chance to help rebuild a neighborhood economy!
- Co-ops build community: co-op members are more than just owners – they are active participants in the management and governance of the organization. Through ongoing personal interactions, cooperators come to know and trust one another. And co-ops partner with other community based organizations, such as urban farms, local businesses and education programs.
- Co-ops give back: co-ops are not islands; they are required to build partnerships that strengthen other like-minded organizations. At Mariposa, we are allies with the Mill Creek Farm and the West Philadelphia Tool Library, using the power of our member labor to make West Philadelphia a better place.
- Democratic member control: democracy is not just something that happens once a year on Election Day! A robust democracy is based on the ongoing participation and deliberation of people in their families, their workplaces, and their communities. A co-op is built around democratic processes, giving us the skills and the sense of what it means to make decisions we can all stand behind.
- Know more about your food: co-ops pioneered the use of nutritional labeling, bulk purchasing, and unit pricing. These tools create informed consumers. And co-ops are deliberate about where the food comes from, so you know that your food is coming from safe and sustainable sources. Ask at the co-op—people will be happy to tell you about the food’s producers and how it got onto the store’s shelves.
- Show your love for the environment: Mariposa is a store that buys local, sells in bulk to reduce packaging, recycles and composts. Most of our members walk or bike to the store. We bring our own bags. Through conservation and efficiency, we are committed to minimizing our environmental impact as we nourish our bodies and souls.