Mariposa Food Co-op strives to provide residents of West Philadelphia and beyond with access to and information about food, especially healthy, locally-grown or otherwise sustainably-produced products. Our primary activity is running a food co-op owned by those who shop there, who actively participate in its governance and operations on an egalitarian consensus-seeking basis.
To do this requires skilled and passionate staff members. If you believe in the power of collective ownership and want to contribute to one of Baltimore Avenue’s fastest growing organizations, then come be a part of the Mariposa community.
Mariposa Food Co-op is an equal opportunity employer.
Date of Posting: 27 July, 2015
Salary: Level 1
Job Summary: To receive, stock, and promote products to meet overall sales objectives and, is an active member of the Staff Collective.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including customer service, conflict resolution, creative problem solving, crisis prevention and de-escalation, critical thinking, and decision making
- Receiving and stocking packaged/canned, bulk, refrigerated/frozen, bakery, wellness products
- Maintaining clean, attractive, well-stocked and rotated displays throughout the department
- Providing prompt and courteous assistance to members and shoppers- fielding questions about the coop and products, assisting with shopping needs, etc.
- Work within a team of other grocery staff (supporting each other around covering shifts, taking breaks and rotating responsibilities
- Supervision and support of volunteer working members on assorted department tasks
- Prior experience in a retail grocery department
- Familiarity with natural foods ,sustainable distribution practices, and relevant terms and classifications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to give clear instructions
- Customer service oriented, prior experience with customer assistance and communication
- Must be able to fulfill the physical requirements of the job –standing for up to 8 hours, lifting 50-60 lbs., working in cold and wet environments
- Supervision of volunteers and/or training others
- Knowledge of agriculture, growing methods (organic, IPM, etc), local foods and suppliers
- Knowledge of Cooperative Grocery principles and experience working in a cooperative environment
This position reports to the Grocery Coordinator and the Staff Collective.
This position description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.
Date of Posting: 16 June, 2015
Salary: Level 4
Hours: Full time 35+ hours per week
The Purchasing Coordinator works closely with all buyers to bottom-line systems around purchasing and merchandising at Mariposa. The Grocery Coordinator is the Purchasing Coordinator’s Home Department Coordinator, who is responsible for their evaluations and scheduling. The Purchasing Assistant is directly accountable to the Purchasing Coordinator.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Establishes standard metrics for department sales, margins, and turns, with a system of regular evaluations and accountability with buyers based on the metrics.
- Assists buyers to plan and implement store-wide strategies on product locations and store layouts which optimize sales volume, shopping ease, and operational efficiency.
- Creates system and schedule for regular category reviews in all non-produce store categories. This includes pricing, promotions, placement and product line.
- Implements category review system with buyers, prioritizing categories in the most need of attention.
- Works with buyers to create pricing strategies by department and sub department.
- Bottom-lines setting and monitoring target department margins.
- Coordinates with buyers to ensure POS data is entered and maintained.
- Convenes regular buyers’ meetings, or supports convener.
- Creates and implements product promotional programs in coordination with Design and Communications Assistant and M&M department.
- Acts as NCGA liaison for Co-op Deals program.
- Supervises POS training for buyers, and creates guides/manuals as needed. Point person for back-end POS issues.
- Updates all vendor costs at least quarterly, with assistance of Purchasing Assistant, flagging price changes in need of attention.
- Submits weekly SPINS report.
Key Skills and Abilities
- Experience with natural foods purchasing, preferably in multiple departments
- Understanding of wholesale food business
- Ability to manage and control inventory
- Experience using and manipulating relevant data, including sales, margins, turnover.
- Exhibited ability to work well in a team setting, and experience in a leadership capacity
- Proven understanding of and ability to uphold personnel and operational policies and procedures
- Strong two-way verbal and written communications skills
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and remain calm under stress
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise independent judgment
- Exhibited ability to follow through on commitments
- Computer literate, including Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and web based applications
- Climbing stairs, bending, sitting, reaching
- Fine motor skills needed
- Specific vision ability: close vision and adjust focus
- Ability to lift up to 10 lbs.
This position reports to the Grocery Coordinator and Staff Collective. This position description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.Take me to the top!
At Mariposa, we are always looking for talented and passionate people! If you are interested in applying for a job, please fill out this form. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org