Mariposa Food Co-op strives to provide residents of West Philadelphia and beyond with access to and information about food, especially healthy, locally-grown or otherwise sustainably-produced products. Our primary activity is running a food co-op owned by those who shop there, who actively participate in its governance and operations on an egalitarian consensus-seeking basis.
To do this requires skilled and passionate staff members. If you believe in the power of collective ownership and want to contribute to one of Baltimore Avenue’s fastest growing organizations, then come be a part of the Mariposa community.
Mariposa Food Co-op is an equal opportunity employer.
Mariposa is currently seeking a Finance Coordinator who will be responsible to ensure co-op finances conform to accepted accounting principles, while providing financial information and analysis to Co-op Leadership and to support achievement of co-op objectives. The position requires a seasoned professional who has strong communication skills and retail finance experience; knowledge of Co-op culture is a huge asset in this role. This position requires good analytical skills and someone who is experienced in improving accounting systems & processes, as well as handling integration of multiple software packages. Some of the duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the financial statements, general ledger account reconciliations and related analyses
- Prepares accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports and Co-op financial statements, which include balance sheet, income and cash flow statements.
- Develop analysis using cost accounting methods, forecasting, profitability models, audits and budget tools.
- Work with Management Team, buyers, and essential department staff to: develop annual operating budget, develop annual capital budget, and analyze expenses
- Review/prepare complex monthly journal entries and reconciliations, including inventory
- Prepare all year end schedules and accruals
- Interface with Tax Accountants, Auditors, and consulting Accountants, ensuring timely tax reporting and annual audit completion
- Provide leadership to/work in collaboration with Finance staff
- Provide backup support and comprehensive understanding of the processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, purchase orders, petty cash, employee expense reports, cash
control, payroll processing and tax compliance; regularly audit these systems & develop them as needed
- Working knowledge of payroll systems, able to audit payroll process and/or process payroll if needed
- Prepare the fiscal year-end salary, vacation and benefits accrual
- Collaborate with Personnel in ensuring that bi-weekly time reports from staff are properly approved and received and time records for absences (vacation, sick, personal, etc.) are being updated
- Coordinate closely with Personnel on payroll/personnel issues to assure continuity and consistency of information throughout our HR & Payroll system
- Ability to maneuver and manage integration of multiple accounting system software packages and periodically review accounting software and work with IT to implement necessary updates
- Provides training (software and financial) and resource assistance to Finance Department and Department Coordinators; Assist in developing and implementing ongoing staff finance trainings in support of open-book management methods
- Specific areas of expertise include: general ledger, financial reporting & analysis, forecasting, budgeting, cost accounting, accounts receivable and accounts payable management, and developing internal controls
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance OR a minimum of 5 years working experience in a full service Finance role within a retail establishment
- Minimum of five years of financial reporting and financial management
- Experience with grocery retail financial systems (natural foods retail a plus)
- Experience with Co-op systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- Proficient in QuickBooks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to interpret financial reports for individuals with varying levels of financial knowledge
This position description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job. If interested, please forward your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for immediate consideration.
At Mariposa, we are always looking for talented and passionate people! If you are interested in applying for a job, please fill out this form. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com