Mariposa Food Co-op strives to provide residents of West Philadelphia and beyond with access to and information about food, especially healthy, locally-grown or otherwise sustainably-produced products. Our primary activity is running a food co-op owned by those who shop there, who actively participate in its governance and operations on an egalitarian consensus-seeking basis.
To do this requires skilled and passionate staff members. If you believe in the power of collective ownership and want to contribute to one of Baltimore Avenue’s fastest growing organizations, then come be a part of the Mariposa community.
Mariposa Food Co-op is an equal opportunity employer.
Date of Posting: 27 April, 2016
Compensation: $12.75/hour, affordable health and dental benefits available after 90 days, 20% store discount, paid vacation & sick time
Hours: Full-time position, 32-40 hrs/ wk. See Key Abilities below for specifics.
Job Summary: Managers-On-Duty (MOD) are leaders on the Front End Team, and are responsible for acting as the point person for customer service and store operations during their shift. Collaborative communication skills, flexibility, good judgement, cash register operation, and excellent customer service skills are essential to this position. MODs are responsible for coordinating with all departments to manage customer service, facilities maintenance, and store operations issues as they arise during their shift.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Front End Operations
- Monitors cash handling and supports cashiers in upholding proper cash handling and Personal Credit Information act compliance practices.
- Acts as cashier as needed during heavy shopping times and to maintain fluency on register.
- Troubleshoots POS system.
- Supports cashiers and entire floor staff in the consistent implementation of loss-prevention practices.
- Supports Front End Coordinator in the implementation of new procedures, systems, and expectations.
- Supports cashiers and Front End team in maintaining cleanliness and organization of Front End.
- Monitors and supports attendance, punctuality, and/or scheduling issues.
- Handles safety and security issues according to Mariposa policies as they arise.
- Actively maintains knowledge of store’s products, membership, and current events in order to answer customer questions with confidence. Shares knowledge with co-workers.
- Answers phone calls from the public regarding store hours and offerings; redirects calls as needed.
- Knows, upholds, and models Mariposa’s Customer Service Standards. Leads by example and gentle guidance as needed.
- Maintains a friendly, approachable and optimistic demeanor throughout shift.
- Ensures that customers receive prompt, friendly, and courteous service.Supports staff as needed to resolve customer issues, concerns, and complaints in a calm and friendly manner.
- Monitors cashiers’ customer service skills. Provides coaching as needed.
- Consistently completes MOD Log during shift to make note of interdepartmental floor staff attendance and other issues.
- Assists in resolving logistical issues (such as interdepartmental staff scheduling issues) between departments in absence of appropriate coordinators.
- Models behaviors that support the values of Mariposa and motivating staff to achieve goals.
- Handles staff or customer issues with sensitivity and respect, and ensures appropriate channel of follow-up communication as needed.
Co-op Involvement & Mission Support
- Understands and supports Mariposa Food Co-op’s purpose, mission and values.
- Values cooperative teamwork, financially sound principles, self-accountability, empowerment and respect for others.
- Communicates openly, honestly, professionally and in a manner that is mutually respectful.
- Stays well informed about the co-op by attending Front End Meetings and All-Staff meetings.
- Checks email regularly in order to stay informed about internal and external events.
- Accepts and offers feedback and suggestions openly and in a respectful manner.
Key Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Must be able to work at least 4 shifts per week on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays or Mondays.
- 3+ years of experience operating cash register/POS system in a retail environment.
- 1-2 years of experience in a customer service leadership role.
- 1-2 years of supervisory experience.
- Available to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills. Ability to present a friendly and optimistic demeanor even during stressful situations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software and Point of Sales database software.
- Technical knowledge and troubleshooting ability a plus!: POS System knowledge & use, CRM knowledge and use.
- Ability to learn new systems and procedures quickly and with a positive attitude.
- Dependable in the absence of immediate management.
- Takes initiative to identify, report and resolve problems before they escalate.
- Manages time efficiently, maintains focus, and stays productive in a fast-paced environment.
- Current PA ServSafe certification is a plus. Ability to acquire certification and any other necessary licenses.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Standing, and walking for extended periods of time.
- Climbing, bending, reaching, and sitting as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs as needed.
- Speaking for extended periods
- Fine motor skills needed
- Specific vision ability: close vision and adjust focus
Please email your resume and a cover letter describing why you are qualified for the requirements listed above, and why you want to work in this capacity at Mariposa to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “MOD Application” as the subject line. Applications that do not follow these instructions might not be considered. No phone calls please!
This position description is a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be part of the job.